Is Milk Chocolate Bad For Dogs

Is Milk Chocolate Bad For Dogs. While it seems like a little bit of chocolate isn’t going to be too harmful to your dog, the darker and less sweet the chocolate is, the more toxic it becomes. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. Keep any type of concentrated cocoa in a place that your pet can’t reach or better yet. Don’t feed them any chocolates at all! Other sources are chewable, flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods (particularly brownies), or even some dog treats.

Chocolates are not just delicious. They can also be toxic to your dog. Even a small amount of chocolate could be fatal for your pet, whether it’s milk chocolate or dark chocolate. Please make sure that if you give out chocolates this Halloween, the children in your neighborhood know to keep them safely out of reach from the family cat or dog. This toxic substance causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. It also develops hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and in rare cases even death. The bottom line is that if you love your pets and care to keep them healthy and alive, then please watch out where you leave your candy wrappers.

Why Milk Chocolate is Bad For Dogs

When it comes to baking, it’s important to remember that the darker a chocolate has the higher level of toxicity. Baker’s chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa powder, and solid chocolate bars are some of the types of chocolate that contain high amounts of theobromine, a relative to caffeine; thus they’re more dangerous than milk or white chocolates. Milk has little to no theobromine and therefore would not cause pets ingesting them any harm.

Threats and Signs Related to Milk Chocolate for Dogs

Chocolate poisoning takes place when dogs eat treats that have the chocolate percentage at a high level. These chocolates are divine to humans but they are very harmful to animals.

Drooling, Vomiting, and Abdominal upset

Milk chocolate is the most toxic of all forms of chocolate because it contains the highest concentration of theobromine. If your dog ingests more than 0.1 ounces per pound of body weight, he may show signs associated with theobromine poisoning including agitation and excitement, abdominal upset, vomiting, diarrhea, walking drunk, drooling, and even seizures or cardiovascular collapse.

Sweet Chocolate Poisoning is Bad for Dogs

More than 0.13 ounces of dark or semi-sweet chocolate may result in a trip to the emergency room. It can be difficult to treat without the proper medical attention.

Make your dog Sick

Dark and semi-sweet baking chocolates may contain enough theobromine to cause poisoning. Consuming too much could make your dog sick.

High on Risk

Of all the types of pet animals, geriatrics and puppies and kittens are more at risk for poisoning than healthy adult dogs and cats because their physiology requires them to be treated more conservatively.

Inflammation of the Pencreas 

Due to chocolate containing a high amount of fat, some pets may experience a little bit of swelling and inflammation in their pancreas. Dogs and cats should never be given chocolate. The fat and caffeine in chocolate can trigger the same reactions in pets that they would have in humans.

How to Treat this poisoning

Induce vomiting, administer multiple doses of activated charcoal to decontaminate the animal. Administer aggressive IV fluids to assist transference of the toxin from the digestive tract and sedatives to calm the pet. Specific medications for heart rate and blood pressure as well as sedatives may be administered depending upon whether or not there are seizures.

Antacids such as Pepcid may be administered for stomach issues and diarrhea. If a urinary catheter is used to ensure bladder emptying then frequent walks will still be needed to keep it from becoming too full.

Leave a Comment