My Dog Ate 10 Grapes

nMy Dog Ate 10 Grapes. As a pet owner, you’re likely always on the lookout for tasty treats to give your dog when they do something exceptional. Most people assume that all fruits are good for dogs, but what about fruit such as grapes? Can dogs eat grapes or could they make your dog ill if you did give them grapes on occasion? Let’s find out.

Are Grapes safe for your dog?

If your dog loves grapes, don’t give them any, not even if they beg. Grapes are poisonous to dogs, and often cause kidney damage which can be irreversible. If your dog ever eats a grape or two (or three) it will typically develop symptoms within 48 hours of ingestion including vomiting, lethargy, and dehydration. Sadly, even with supportive treatment from a veterinarian these pets don’t always recover and develop final stage renal failure that may lead to death in as few as two weeks if proper steps aren’t taken immediately. Be aware that it’s not just fresh grapes that harm your dog; raisins are also a risk.

Is the whole grape is harmful 

It cannot be said for sure why grapes are dangerous for your dog. This is partly because the severity of signs from grapes often has little or no link to just how many grapes if any, a dog has eaten. Over the years, there have been several ideas about what happens when dogs eat grapes. One idea suggests that it’s not the grape itself but mold growing on the skin of the grape. It causes damage to the kidneys.

Is there any other way if your dog ate 10 grapes?

Another idea is that it is a salicylate compound in natural grapes that’s similar to ibuprofen found in some medicines. It can cause problems for a dog’s kidneys and stomach after they have consumed more than the recommended dosage. The most recent and most probable cause of kidney damage following the consumption of grapes was found to be tartaric acid. After observations of affected dogs who had eaten even one or two dried grapes confirmed these findings by their doctors.

Can your Dog eat 10 Grapes?

There is no fixed number of grapes that a dog can eat and be poisoned. For example, one particular dog may suffer from kidney failure from ingesting just one grape. Other dogs may eat a much larger quantity and not have any problem at all. Sadly, there’s no way to know for sure whether or not eating grapes will hurt your dog so it’s best to avoid them altogether and treat every case the same in case there is an unpredictable reaction.

What to do if your dog eats Grapes

Dogs have the potential to get sick when they eat grapes, raisins, or other types of fruit that have been known to cause problems. Whether it was after raiding one too many garbage cans or stealing food off of a dinner plate. No matter how much your dog ate certain foods like these.

Don’t Wait for long if your dog ate 10 grapes

You should not wait if you suspect your dog may have eaten some grapes. Immediately contact your veterinarian for an assessment. Once you’ve done so, you can arrange an appointment at their office as early as possible to help stabilize your pet’s condition.

Read the nutritious benefits of pumpkin to keep your dog healthy and active.

Symptoms of Grapes toxicity

If your dog has gotten into table grapes or raisins, you might not notice any symptoms at first. However, if they develop kidney failure from ingesting grapes or raisins, you might see symptoms occur in as little as 24-48 hours.

  1. A sudden increase in Thirst
  2. An increased amount of urination
  3. Nausea
  4. Vomiting or throwing yellow bile
  5. Reduction in appetite
  6. Lethargy

Can it be treated

If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, you need to figure out what the veterinarian will do to prevent them from absorbing any more of the toxin. If they’ve eaten the offending items recently, your vet will give them an injection to make them vomit so that there’s nothing left in their stomach. However, if your mischievous mutt ate the grapes or raisins several hours earlier, making them vomit won’t help; in this case, your veterinarian will give activated charcoal to prevent further absorption in the gut.

Summary

Let’s summarize the whole content and see what are the results of the problem. Grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs and there doesn’t seem to be a consensus as to why. It could have something to do with the tartaric acid found in both. Because of this, it’s probably best not to feed your dog even just one grape because of the potential for kidney damage which is so severe that it may sometimes be irreversible.

The reason it’s important to avoid giving any grapes or raisins at all if you have a dog at home is that you never know when they might get into them or how recently they may have come across dogs eating grapes, etc. They aren’t worth the risk since they can potentially lead your beloved pup down a long road toward kidney failure. So instead make sure you give your dog yummy treats that will keep him healthy and happy!

Leave a Comment